02 May 2017

Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth REVIEW



Summary:

Cyra is the sister of the brutal tyrant who rules the Shotet people. Cyra's currentgift gives her pain and power--something her brother exploits, using her to torture his enemies. But Cyra is much more than just a blade in her brother's hand: she is resilient, quick on her feet, and smarter than he knows.
Akos is the son of a farmer and an oracle from the frozen nation-planet of Thuvhe. Protected by his unusual currentgift, Akos is generous in spirit, and his loyalty to his family is limitless. Once Akos and his brother are captured by enemy Shotet soldiers, Akos is desperate to get his brother out alive--no matter what the cost.
Then Akos is thrust into Cyra's world, and the enmity between their countries and families seems insurmountable. Will they help each other to survive, or will they destroy one another?

My Thoughts:

When I first started reading this, the style of writing kind of reminded me of how Marie Lu writes her books alternating the perspectives of characters, and also a bit of the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas (plot wise). However, that's probably just me, since I've read those before this.
The story is great, with Akos struggling to save his brother and Cyra struggling to break free of and possibly kill her brother. I understand that Akos was close with his brother, but he's kinda beyond saving. When his only hope of saving is through Cyra's brother, it's kind of a sign that you can't really do anything to save him unless you risk literally everything and everyone with you . . .
As much as I love Cyra as a character (she's probably my favorite), I think the author should have had a bit more of the story from Akos's perspective, since Cyra got most of the chapters. I feel as if the book should have carried on, the remaining problems could have been cleared up with an extra couple hundred pages that I wouldn't have minded reading. But it seems like there's gonna be a sequel sometime soon.
I think it's very interesting how the people carve tattoo-like marks on their skin to remember the people they have killed.

My Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment