03 August 2017

All the Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry REVIEW


Summary:

Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years later, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family.
Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who's owned her heart as long as she can remember--even if he doesn't know it--her childhood friend, Lucas.
But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever.

My Thoughts:

I was, at first, concerned about reading this because of the mixed reviews: many positive but a lot of negative ones, too. However, I'm glad I read it anyway.
The book is written in second person, so it can be hard to follow the story at first. It's also written as letters or a journal from Judith to Lucas. It also seems like it's set in the past? But I'm not really sure, since no dates are mentioned.
First thing that stood out to me: only about half of Judith's tongue was cut out, so she could learn to speak again. She eventually does speak again, but not early on because her mother doesn't want her to.
To be totally honest, I really dislike Judith's mother. I can understand being shocked/unsure of what to do, but eventually she should have accepted Judith as she is, but that doesn't happen.
The way this book is written is that you get bits and pieces of info on what happened before and during Judith's disappearance, but you don't get the whole thing until the end of the book, when she finally speaks up about what really happened.

I really, really enjoyed reading this book despite the fact that there were lots of depressing parts of it.

My Rating: 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment