24 June 2023

Atlantia by Ally Condie REVIEW

 Summary:


For as long as she can remember, Rio has dreamed of the sand and sky Above - of life beyond her underwater city of Atlantia. But in a single moment, all Rio's hopes for the future are shattered when her twin sister, Bay, makes an unexpected choice, stranding Rio Below. Alone, ripped away from the last person who knew Rio's true self - and the powerful siren voice she has long silenced - she has nothing left to lose.

Guided by a dangerous and unlikely mentor, Rio formulates a plan that leads to increasingly treacherous questions about her mother's death, her own destiny, and the corrupted system constructed to govern the Divide between land and sea. Her life and her city depend on Rio to listen to the voices of the past and to speak long-hidden truths.


My Thoughts:


I loved this book way more than I thought I would.

Rio's mother, a minister, has died, leaving her and her sister Bay to live on their own. They are twins, and that is rare in the Below. When they reach a certain age, one can go Above but the other must stay behind. Bay has her promise to stay so that she wouldn't be alone, but then she goes Above, leaving Rio behind in shock. Through trying to find a way to follow her sister, Rio discovers more things about her mother, her aunt, her world, and herself, ultimately stopping her world from being destroyed in the process.

I don't know why I never picked up this book sooner. Rio may be your typical YA protagonist, but she's also more relatable (personality-wise). And I honestly liked this so much better than Matched. As soon as I started reading, it was nearly impossible to put down. The characters are strong and memorable, and Below is developed so well. While there are no mermaids (unfortunately), I got over the disappointment rather quickly.

I would definitely recommend this one.


My Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment