13 July 2022

Deuces Are Wild by O. E. Tearmann REVIEW

 Summary:


America is waking up.

People are standing up for each other and a future worth living in. But they can't do it alone.

Now, they don't have to. The Democratic State Force is calling in favors across the nation. Members of Base 1407 and hundreds of other teams across the country are teaching the citizens how to fight back on their terms, with tactics that hit the Corporations right where it hurts - the wallet and the pride.

The seven Corporations that think they own the country are scrambling to keep control over the citizens' communications, their decisions, and their lives. Every dirty trick is coming out of their bags as they lose their grip. It's going to take a lot to beat them at this game for the country's soul.

Life's a bitch. She doesn't play fair. Out-think her with every hand, and you might just win.


My Thoughts:


I am so divided on whether I liked this book or not. It was extremely hard to get into for two reasons: the writing style and the fact that over half of the book was world-building and character development. I don't think I've ever read a book in this writing style, so it was hard to understand at the beginning. While world-building and character development are very important, so is the plot. You only saw the plot halfway to the end of the book, and many readers would be turned off by this. The details about the Corporations did not come until close to the ending. And they were not what you would expect in a dystopian novel. In my opinion, they would not be accurate. The Corporations use religion and working, as well as a sort of class system, to control the population. Maybe this would happen to smaller countries in the future, but a lot of American citizens are extremely diverse in terms of religion and politics, so while the forced labor and class system will probably come back in some way, I don't see religion being mandated or something. The ending was also underwhelming, as it did nothing to make me want to read the next book in the series.

Now, onto what I loved! If you know me, you know that I talk about character development a lot and how important it is. And it is SO GOOD HERE. The main character is not the only character who is well developed! A handful of side characters are also extremely well developed. This is important, as it helps invest you into their lives. Another thing that I loved was the LGBT characters! A lot of other books with diverse characters are given their diversity as their personality and do nothing to develop them. This was not the case here. And as a lesbian myself, I was overjoyed at this. 

However, the positives did not overtake the negatives for me personally.

My Rating: 2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment