10 June 2022

The Fig Eater by Jody Shields REVIEW

 Summary:


Vienna, 1910. The hunt for a killer begins in the darkness of a hot August night, when an eighteen year old girl named Dora (loosely inspired by Freud's famous patient) is found brutally murdered near the Imperial Palace...


My Thoughts:


When I first started reading this book, I thought that I would have to DNF it. Thankfully, I kept reading, and the further I got, the more interesting the book became.

While the characters of the Inspector and Franz are the investigators/police officers, they are not actually the main characters. There is Erszebet, the Inspector's wife, Wally, a governess, and Egon, the photographer. Erszebet gets caught up with her husband's murder case, helping him in any way possible. She also enlists Wally for help. But the case brings her and her husband apart, as Erszebet goes deeper and deeper into the investigation, leading her to lie by omission to him while searching just as hard for the murderer. Egon was enlisted by the police to photograph Dora's body, as well as possible crime scenes. There is only a small list of suspects, but the book leads the reader to believe one is the perpetrator, while it ends up being someone else entirely.

The characters were very well developed throughout the book; some characters' personalities changed with the progression of the story, which was done wonderfully.

Even though I finished and enjoyed it, there was a point where I seriously contemplated DNFing it. This may be a problem for other readers.

My Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment