05 May 2018

Gunslinger Girl by Lyndsay Ely REVIEW


Summary:

Serendipity "Pity" Jones inherited two thing from her mother: a pair of six-shooters and perfect aim. Those won't get her far on the farming commune, but in the decadent, dangerous city of Cessation, a fast draw will buy her freedom.
So Pity heads west, where lawlessness is a way of life for those on the losing side of the Second Civil War. She's offered fame and fortune as a sharpshooter in the Theatre Vespertine--where she has a chance to make a real home . . . and where she meets Max, an artistic stagehand who introduces her to a vibrant new world.
But there's a dark side to the Theatre: the Finale. Every so often the fighting factions of Cessation have to be kept in line with a little demonstration, a nightmarish public execution . . . and Pity has a starring role.

My Thoughts:

I actually noticed this book at a bookstore a couple months ago and kept forgetting about it but finally I got around to reading it. And I wasn't disappointed.
This is probably one of the best debut novels I've ever read.
Pity grew up with her father and brothers who don't really care for her. Her father doesn't like that she reminds him of her mother so he sells her off. Before she is forced to go, she runs off with her best friend, Finn. Not long after, the vehicle gets attacked and her friend killed--but Max and a few other come by and rescue her. Then she is introduced to Cessation.
I really liked the development of Pity's character and also Max's character, although I would have loved to see more development from some of the side characters as well.
The book was really well written and I definitely recommend reading it.
I hope there will be a sequel.

My Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment